GoYorkton invites local creators, business people, experts and storytellers to publish content that makes Yorkton an awesome, more connected city.
We would love submissions from Yorktonites who have something to share.
Here’s how to get started:
Submit a story via email to [email protected]. Send it via Word doc and attach photos separately — the more photos the better.
Each submission is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. We do not pay for submissions and you will be credited for your submission with an author box that includes information about yourself and a link to your website (if you have one). We will be in touch within a few days if we’re able to publish.
Main two guidelines for story submissions:
- Word count. All submissions must be under 600 words.
- First person. Use “I” in the story. Writing in the first person allows you to better connect with the audience.
We’re new at this, but we racked our brains and came up with a list of question we think you might have:
(1) What kind of articles/content are you looking for?
- List of things related to Yorkton – example 17 Awesome Things to do in Yorkton
- How To’s – these are great and would fit nice in our lifestyle section.
- Recipes – this is more for us, because we get hungry – but we’d love to publish your favorites
- Beginners Guides – example – What to do when you are new to Yorkton, or Beginners Guide to Essential Hockey Equipment
- Frequently Asked Questions – do you run a group or club – post up the questions that new members ask you repeatedly. This is a great way for you to get exposure for your group.
- Personal Stories about experiences you have had in Yorkton. A little “Chicken Soup for the Yorkton Soul” type of stuff.
- Charities and Activism – are you working for a cause. Let everyone know about it on GoYorkton.
- People Feature – We’d love to have a story that features some of our awesome citizens and the things they are doing.
- Product Reviews – we like to call these “Local Business Spotlights”, and we’d love to share them with the world.
- Contests – We’ll be running our own – but you can submit yours as well.
- Yorkton Living Tips – we could all use some great tips for making our lives easier.
- History – are you a history buff? We’d love to have some historical information about Yorkton for everyone to learn.
- Parenting Tips – who couldn’t use some of those.
- Upcoming Events – we really need these for our “What’s Happening” section.
- Best of – A best of 2016 would be great. Almost any topic related to Yorkton works.
(2) How does GoYorkton evaluate a submission?
We ask two main questions in evaluating submissions:
- Does the story educate the reader and make them smarter about Yorkton?
- Does the story emotionally connect with a reader and will they be likely to talk about it?
Take a look around the site. Our focus is to spotlight Yorkton and show it off.
(3) What are you looking for?
- Accuracy. Get the facts right. Primary quotes from individuals in our community are great.
- Firsthand experiences. What have you experienced that Yorkton should know about?
- Expertise. Do you have deep knowledge on a subject?
- Photos. Make sure to include photos as attachments in your submission email. The bigger the files, the better (we can always make them smaller).
(4) What are we NOT looking for?
- Non-Yorkton stories. We only cover Yorkton and surrounding area.
- Sports analysis. There are other places for this. That said, we do accept sports culture stories.
(5) Will you edit my story?
Yes. The most common edits are shortening, breaking up paragraphs and editing the headline. We reserve the right to make light edits.
We’re very thankful for your interest. We can’t wait to get you published!
If you have any questions, just use our contact form.